This page contains a number of links and resources to assist with scheduling activities.
On this page:
To assist in the scheduling process for the Summer 2017 Term, we will be offering one-on-one telephone sessions on November 10 and 14, 2016 for those TReps that have specific issues in timetabling for their Faculty. Further details will be available in mid-October.
Scheduling courses for direct-entry undergraduate programs
- Ensure that you adhere to the Senate approved term dates. Incorrect dates will affect the withdrawal dates and may affect student loans and awards.
Scheduling Impacts on U-Pass Fees
For the Summer Session, students are charged the U-Pass fee on a monthly basis.
- Graduate and professional programs that do not follow the Senate approved term dates are advised to schedule course dates to accurately reflect the start and end dates for when students are in class. For example, if the first day a class meets is on June 30 and the last class meets on August 1, the course should be scheduled from June 30 to August 1, and students would be correctly assessed for the June, July and August U-Pass.
- Does the planned size in the Activity Editor exceed the seat capacity of the room you want to book?
- Have you limited your search to specific buildingand rooms? Are your term dates and/or start and end time correct? If the room is booked on one of your scheduled days, you may need to remove that particular week for the activity.
- Have you checked the room availability on the Scientia Webroom Schedule (SWS)?
There are several reasons why students may not be able to register for a course.
- You just created a section and will need to wait overnight for the Conflict Checker to run before the section is released to students.
- The "Permit Students to Register" box may not be checked.
- The student may not meet the restrictions.
- Section-level restrictions: Restrictions at the section level are located on the UBC Details page, under Seat Pool. You may create restrictions that are only applied to the section. When creating a restriction, do not type in any of the information for the restrictions, as this will create an error. Use the arrows or the drop down menu. Make sure you save the seat pool and click "ok" to go back to the main page.
- Senate restrictions: Senate restrictions can be viewed on the Faculty Course Management (SCMC) system. Senate restrictions are applied to all of the sections of the course. To remove Senate restrictions contact Senate & Curriculum Services.
- Faculty restrictions: Also viewed on the SCMC, these restrictions are applied to all sections of a course. Students must meet these restrictions before they are able to register for the course.
- Registration may also be prevented based on the student account (e.g., financial holds, advising required, not eligible).
Please ensure you are using Internet Explorer when launching Scheduling – Courses & Events, for course scheduling.
Scientia Enterprise Timetabler is opened in the minimized state, when this occurs, you will see the Timetabler icon on the task bar, however, Timetabler does not open on your screen. To fix this:
1. Hover over the Timetabler icon on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen until a grey box appears above the icon
2. Right click on the grey Timetabler box and select Maximize
3. Timetabler should now open on your screen
To allow the double booking of staff members (ie TBA), please do the following on Timetabler:
1. Go to the Tools (top of page) drop down menu and select Constraints
2. Once the Constraints box appears, under the Avoid Double Booking Constraint category, select “Never” for Staff Member and click Ok at the bottom of the Constraints box to save
3. Write back this change. This will allow you to double book staff members. A problem will still be triggered and the problem will need to be waived.
- Does the activity have a section ID? Section ID’s must be 3 characters, letter are capitalized.
- Did you change the original section ID? If so, please change it back and add a new section for the new section ID.
- Did you write back changes?
- Did you wait 15 minutes to allow time for data to sync from Scientia to the SISC?
If you answered yes to the above questions , please contact our office for assistance.
- Did you complete the section on SISC Section Controls?
- On the SISC Section Detail tab, please make sure the Publish options were selected:
- Publish Section: select Yes
- Publish Meeting: select Yes
- Did you add and complete the course today before 4pm? An overnight refresh is required before it will display on the course schedule.
You may re-set your view to the default setting by going to Tools (at the top toolbar), Reset, Layout.
Please email Scheduling Services with the course information for further investigation.