The following procedures are designed to minimize exam disruption without compromising safety in the event of a bomb threat. Developed in consultation with security personnel, these guidelines should enable us to avoid evacuating buildings prior to or during exams. All invigilators are asked to follow these procedures.
Please review these points before the exam and take each precaution to minimize risk to the personal safety of those entering the exam room. In the event of a bomb threat, see the procedures outlined in point 8 below and contact your department head immediately.
If A Bomb Threat Is Received
The call will be reviewed and evaluated by security personnel and/or the police. The publicly accessible parts of the building, including all exit routes, will be searched to ensure that the building can be safely evacuated if necessary. If there is any reason to believe that the threat might be serious, the building will be evacuated.
The following procedures apply when a bomb threat is received:
If the threat is judged not to be serious, the following precautions will take place:
- Before the exam begins, locked rooms will be considered secure. Occupied rooms in the building will be checked. You should enter your room once it is unlocked and carry out the brief check outlined in 2 above.
- After the exam rooms are occupied, security personnel will contact invigilators in each exam room. The exam will be briefly interrupted as students are asked to check that all bags, coats etc. belong to someone in the room. If any unclaimed or suspicious object is found, security personnel should be notified immediately. Similar procedures will be followed in all other occupied rooms in the building.
- Students who are upset or disturbed by the situation should be allowed to leave the exam if they wish. Their names should be taken, and they should be treated as though they left due to illness.
If the threat is judged to be serious, the building will be evacuated.
- Invigilators will be alerted and fire bells rung. The invigilator in charge should consider whether the exam can be marked based on work completed. If so, students should be informed before they leave. If not, students should be told to check with the department office to find out when the exam will be rescheduled. The instructor will call the exam clerk in Enrolment Services at 604.822.5926 for assistance in rescheduling the exam.
- In all cases, students should be instructed to leave their exam booklets on their desks when they leave. Invigilators should remain near the building and should return to pick up the booklets when it is safe to re-enter the building.
- Some exam rooms can be locked once the exam is over. If you can lock the doors of the exam room, or if the doors will lock when closed, please stay in the room until all the students have left and lock the doors as you leave.