Last update: October 12, 2023

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is the department at the Government of Canada responsible for dealing with immigration (eg. study permits, work permits, entry visas etc.). As regulations and policies change at the federal level, International Student Development's team of Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCIC) provides leadership at UBC, communicating, advising and assessing the impacts on the international student population.

Your role in supporting international students

  • Remind students to pay attention to expiry dates on their immigration documents.
  • Understand that only RCICs may give case-specific immigration advice, but anyone can direct students to UBC’s International Student Guide and IRCC’s website
  • Refer students to International Student Development.  
  • Provide letters to students as requested, following the guidelines. See International Student Development's overview of letters from UBC for immigration purposes
  • As always, create a respectful and inclusive living and learning environment.

Only authorized representatives may advise international students on immigration

International Student Development has been designated as the only office at UBC V through which RCICs provide Canadian immigration advice to international students. Authorized representatives include (but are not limited to) lawyers and Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs). 

Refer students to International Student Development for:
  • Study permits and visas
  • Health insurance
  • Taking a break from studies
  • Working in Canada as an international student
  • Documents for family members of international students
  • Support with cultural transitions

Students can access immigration advising at, 604.822.5021. Our online International Student Guide (previously the International Student Handbook) has up-to-the minute information for UBC V international students, including tutorials for filling out key forms.