[IMPORTANT NOTICE:] In light of the growing UBC response and current developments related to COVID-19, please be advised that UBC General Teaching Spaces will be unavailable for event booking until April 27, 2021. Event organizers who are affected will be contacted via email and for those individuals/groups who were charged a rental fee, a full refund will be provided. Please contact Enrolment Room Bookings should you have any questions.
Instructors requesting classrooms to record or stream course content, please download and complete the request form found here. Please email the completed form to Scheduling Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. All bookings are first-come-first-served and are scheduled during set time intervals Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm. Recording and live-stream booking requests for Winter Term 1 are now being accepted. Requests for Tuesday, December 1 onwards will be accepted starting Wednesday, November 18. Details on the COVID-19 Workspace Safety Plan can be found here. For more information on available spaces, please refer to the Learning Spaces website.
For any other types of bookings, please note that we are currently not accepting any requests submitted via the Scientia Web Room Booking (WRB), and access to this feature has been temporarily deactivated until further notice. This is due to the newly implemented booking procedures and screening process established to address COVID-19 developments. Please refer to information on this page below on how to access Room Booking Request form instead. [September 29, 2020]
The information on this page is for:
- UBC staff/faculty that would like to book a general teaching space for University activities.
Students, please visit UBC students general teaching space for instructions on how to book space.
Non-UBC individuals/groups and UBC faculty and staff booking space for activities not related to University business, follow the steps here.
On this page:
Booking release dates
In order to allow time to book credit courses and/or exams in general teaching space, all other booking requests can only be made on and after the release date for the corresponding room booking period.
|2019/2020||Booking period||Release date|
|Term 1 - Summer Session 2020||Apr 30 – June 21, 2020||January 20, 2020*|
|June 2020 Exams||June 22 - 26, 2020||June 3, 2020|
|Term 2 - Summer Session 2020||June 27 – Aug 16, 2020||January 20, 2020*|
|August 2020 Exams||Aug 17 - 21, 2020||July 22, 2020|
|End of Summer 2020||Aug 22 – 31, 2020||January 20, 2020*|
*Collection week – booking requests for winter and/or summer sessions will be collected for a one-week period (i.e. Monday - Sunday) for each respective session.
For example, January 20 – 26, 2020 is the collection week. Anything submitted on January 27 onwards will be first come first serve.
|2020/2021||Booking Period||Release Date|
|Term 1 - Winter Session 2020/2021 (Pre-Thanksgiving)||Sept 1 - Oct 12, 2020||August 5, 2020*|
|Term 1 - Winter Session 2020/2021 (Post-Thanksgiving)||Oct 13 - Dec 6, 2020||September 30, 2020*|
|December 2020 Exams||Dec 7 - Dec 22, 2020||November 18, 2020*|
|Christmas Period 2020/2021||Dec 23 - 24, 2020||November 18, 2020*|
|Term 2 - Winter Session 2020/2021||Jan 4 - Apr 11, 2021||November 18, 2020*|
|Term 1 - Summer Session 2021||Apr 28 - June 20, 2021||TBD*|
|June 2021 Exams||June 21 - 25, 2021||TBD*|
|Term 2 - Summer Session 2021||June 26 - Aug 15, 2021||TBD*|
|August 2021 Exams||Aug 16 - 20, 2021||TBD*|
|End of Summer 2021||Aug 21 - 31, 2021||TBD*|
* TBD - these release dates are subject to change based on Covid-19-related developments and UBC Directive on Events. These dates will be updated as soon as there is a directive for the respective booking period.
Scheduling Services will adhere to booking release dates and booking priorities for general teaching space when processing booking requests. We recommend you read the helpful hints at the bottom of this page prior to booking.
Make a room booking request
Option 1 [Currently not available]
- Room inventory can be viewed here: UBC General Teaching Space website
- Submit a room booking request via the Scientia Web Room Booking (WRB). The advantages of using this method are:
- You will receive confirmation of the room booking within approximately one business day, with the exception of collection week and peak periods (January, July, August and September).
- You can view all general teaching spaces that are available to book.
Get access to the Scientia Web Room Booking (WRB)
If you are a current UBC staff or faculty member and you don’t already have access to WRB, complete the SIS administrative access form on the Request SIS Access page. When completing the form, select TEVQ under Group.
Scheduling Services will process the request and email you room booking confirmation within approximately two business days.
Please note that due to the high volume of requests received during our collection week and peak periods (January, July, and September), processing may take longer than two business days. Please do not advertise your event until you have received a final booking confirmation.
Room rental rates
Please note that those activities booked by UBC staff/faculty that are not related to University business will be subject to a rental rate and charged in full according to our Room Rental Rates for non-UBC individuals/groups and UBC faculty and staff booking space for activities not related to University business. These rates are listed here. Scheduling Services will contact you to arrange payment via Visa or MasterCard.
Building Operations opening and closing fees
If your event falls outside a building's regular hours, Building Operations may charge opening or closing fees to offset the cost of providing access. Regularly scheduled academic courses are exempt from these fees.
Opening and closing
Opening and closing on statutory holidays
*Taxes not included.
AV resources and technicians
Internal bookings include the use of accessible AV equipment. Review the buildings and classrooms page for room listings and their respective AV equipment.
Additional AV support or equipment rentals may be subject to fees. Contact IT Audio Visual Services for more information.
- Room bookings are scheduled to begin and end on the hour or half-hour. Your event should end 10 minutes prior to the scheduled end time to allow for transition to the next event.
- Please note that food, alcohol, non-alcoholic drinks are not permitted in general teaching space (classrooms).
- Do you need first aid coverage at your event? Request free first aid support from the Student First Aid Team (FAST). Please try to make your request five or more business days before the event date.
- Signage must comply with Policy 120: Posting of Notices, Posters, and Signs (pdf).
- If a room is not returned to its original state, you may be subject to a charge of $200 for Custodial Services to restore the room back to its original condition.
- The buildings and classrooms list provides information about general teaching space on campus as well as details about the A/V equipment available in each space.